NETWORKING -MAKING VISIONS REAL AND ATTAINABLE
Once a month the door opens at The Deck, Brighton and we warmly welcome new faces. Sometimes the new attendees are a little apprehensive and unsure what to expect as YTM is quite different to other traditional networking events. Based on our experience of running business networking events, we know that in a very short time they will feel relaxed and comfortable.
Generally our attendees have been in business for more than 4 years and are keen to make connections and share knowledge and experience. YTM is a community built on relationships, professional development and quality connections that open up opportunities that will impact on business growth.
Today, I would like to introduce you to Harriet Lammin. Harriet is a recent arrival and initially was unsure about networking. As the event is held just across the road from her office, she thought she would give it a go. She knew it could help her to build connections, create visibility of her architecture business, boost her confidence and allow her to have conversations with others who could help her as she learnt to navigatemanagament of the business. After a couple of visits to YTM, I am pleased to say, Harriet became a YTM Connect Member. and is a regular attendee.
Harriet, What’s your business name and how did you come up with that? How do you help others?
· My business name is JDA Architects, which is a legacy of the Architectural Practice of John Douglas that has been providing quality architectural design services for the past 35 years. When I became the business owner I wanted to retain the name to leverage the value of the brand, and to let our customers know that there will be a continuation of the quality services that they have come to know under the new ownership of H. Lammin Design. It is also my strong intention to put my own stamp on the Practice and grow the business in new directions to reflect my own skills and interests.
· We help others to navigate the complex process of building by introducing the wide range of opportunities that are available to them to harness the potential of their home or site and to accompany them on the journey to making their visions real and attainable.
“Why” do you do what you do? What made you start your own business?
· I love the process of designing buildings and resolving the complexities of a multitude of competing requirements into a creative solution that is at the same time practical and functional.
· I started my own business to enable me to spend the time focussing on the things that are really important to me and to develop an architectural practice that reflects my personal values and commitment to quality architecture.
I am sure there are things that really give you a “buzz” about your business. Could you share 2 or three things with us?
1. It really gives me a “buzz” when I watch a client start to understand how architecture can improve their lives and the way that they live or work, and how much added value they will receive from a well-considered design.
2. It really gives me a “buzz” when I can show a client an innovative and creative solution to a problem that at first seemed to be impossible to solve.
3. I also get a “buzz” when a building that has been on the ‘drawing board’ for months, finally starts to take shape on site and the spatial forms start to appear ‘in the flesh’ for the first time – especially when a client can at last visualise clearly what their building will be like.
As you know at Your Time Matters, we believe conversations, connections and knowledge enrich lives, personally and professionally and can impact on the lives of others, helping them learn, grow and achieve what matters to them. What impact would you like your business to make?
· I would like my business to make an impact by allowing more people to experience the joy and satisfaction that good building design can bring and to improve the way that people interact with the built environment. I believe that architecture has the potential to enhance the quality of everybody’s lives and improve the environment that we all share and I love how my business has the opportunity to contribute to this positive outcome.
In 3 years time, where would you like to see your business?
· I would like to see my business become a thriving architectural practice with a steady stream of design commissions across a range of building types so that I can continue to provide opportunities for others to experience the joy of architecture and increase the wider understanding and appreciation of what it can offer.
Can you give us one tip on how to manage your time as a busy business professional?
· Identify ‘High Pay-off’ activities ie. meaningful tasks that contribute to your well-being (personal or professional) and schedule time for these in your week as a priority.
How have you benefited from being part of the YTM community?
· I have benefited from being part of the YTM community by being able to connect with like-minded business owners in an informal and friendly environment, which has given me invaluable opportunities to learn about running a business from people who are actually doing it themselves. I have met people with widely different business types and knowledge and it has helped me become more confident in talking about what I do.
Please share your favourite quote with us about time or business .
“Time management is an oxymoron. Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximising the time we have.” – John C Maxwell Speaker & Author.
How can people connect with you?
Facebook: JDA Architects@BrightonDesignStudio
We are delighted to have Harriet as part of our community and with an Interior designer, a landscape designer, a solar energy provider and a range of other professionals who are also members of YTM, I know that Harriet is in the right blace to Learn Grow Achieve. If you would like to come along to our next event, details can be found HERE or give Kerryn Powell of YTM a call to answer any of your questions on 0414 856 616